Friends in Christ,
Once again, the Task Force for the Resumption of In-Person Worship has been collaborating with worship leaders across the Eastern Synod to develop resources to support your ministry during Holy Week and the Season of Easter.
Today, we are pleased to share another robust collection with you!
Worship Resources for Holy Week and Easter feature a number of new original worship texts crafted by Rostered and Lay Leaders across the church. In addition to these liturgical texts, we are also pleased to share a growing number of musical, educational, as well as children and family resources:
- Two Rivers Ministry Area has crafted, collected, and shared a selection of resources for Palm/Passion Sunday.
- Rev. Dr. Kimberlynn McNabb and Rev. Rick Pryce have prepared a Maundy Thursday Prayer Journey that invites us to re-imagine traditional rituals in new ways. This liturgy would be well suited for use during mediated or in-person worship, and can be adapted for home use.
- Rev. Jason Ashby has prepared an order of service for an Agape Meal which can be used to mark Maundy Thursday as a family, or bubble.
- Two Rivers Ministry Area has crafted, collected, and shared a selection of resources for Maundy Thursday.
- Deacon Sherry Coman has crafted a resource entitled “The People of the Cross” which can be used on Good Friday to reflect upon our Saviour’s crucifixion from the perspective of those who participated, witnessed or waited. These seven dialogues encourage us to see our own lives in the stories.
- Rev. James Brown has prepared a Stations of the Cross/Way of the Cross resource in collaboration with artist, Nancy-Lou Patterson. These scripts, PowerPoints and at-home devotional can be used on the days of Holy Week, or for community worship on Good Friday.
- Rev. Douglas Reble has pre-recorded the Solemn Reproaches from Schultz Chapel at the Eastern Synod Office.
- Two Rivers Ministry Area has crafted, collected, and shared a selection of resources for Good Friday.
- In this section you will find everything you need to create your own Easter Vigil:
- Rev. Eric Dyck has provided an outline, as well as liturgical recordings.
- All twelve readings have been pre-recorded by voices across the Eastern Synod (Rev. Ronald Shumba, Emily Walker, Rev. Johanna Porkola, Robb Wilson, Rev. Mavis Fung, Janelle Lightbourne, Deacon Pam Harrington, Maria Featherston, Rev. Judith Kierschke, Lynn Slack, Sophos Slessor and Dr. Mary (Joy) Phillip).
- Tim McNabb has pre-recorded two hymns to accompany each of the twelve vigil readings.
- Two Rivers Ministry Area has crafted, collected, and shared, a selection of resources for Easter Vigil.
Season of Easter
- Bishop Michael Pryse has pre-recorded the Easter Story as told in John 20:1-18.
- Bishop Michael has also prepared a sermon for Easter 2. This sermon is available in print and video format.
- Bishop Susan Johnson has pre-recorded ‘Thine Is The Glory‘ (ELW 376), to be used as an Easter Proclamation.
- Bishop Susan has also written, and pre-recorded, a blessing for use during the Easter Season.
- Rev. Dr. Mark Harris has written a new Eucharistic Prayer which invites us into a deeper experience of new live throughout the Season of Easter.
- Two Rivers Ministry Area has crafted, collected, and shared, a selection of resources for the Season of Easter.
MUSICAL RESOURCES FOR HOLY WEEK, EASTER…AND BEYOND!
- Tim McNabb, Director of Music at Resurrection, Halifax continues to creatively re-imagine beloved hymns from Evangelical Lutheran Worship.
- Trevor Hicks has shared his publication, “The Story of Salvation”, which includes six original compositions intended to guide us through Holy Week and Easter. Recordings of each selection are also available.
- Rev. Mark Ehlebracht, and the team from St. Peter’s TV Ministry, continue to share recordings from the televised broadcast as they become available. Please note that recordings are licensed for use for a period of 30 days.
- Virtual Choirs from Peace (Pickering), Trinity (London), Faith (Ottawa) and St. Peter’s (Brodhagen) are sharing their recordings in video and/or audio formats as they become available.
CHILDREN, YOUTH & FAMILY RESOURCES
- Young Canadian Lutherans will be sharing video resources that they have produced to enhance our expereince of Holy Week and Easter. But don’t let the ‘Young Canadian’ headline fool you – these resources would be a welcomed gift to any/all demographics.
- Meranda and Rev. Dan Phannenhour continue to share monthly Bible Bunch videos for children and families with accompanying activity sheets.
Due to the growing number of resources being gathered, we are no longer able to produce a single PDF document. Instead, all resources (print and video) are available to download directly through our Eastern Synod Worship Resource Library on BOX. Additional resources will continue to be added as we journey through Holy Week and Easter. If you are not currently connected with this growing resource library, please contact Liz Zehr (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Cindy Stubbs (email@example.com) to obtain access. (Unfamiliar with BOX? CLICK HERE to learn more!)
On behalf of myself and my Task Force colleagues – thank you! We remain in awe of your incredible generosity – and gratitude. Simply put, this project would not be possible without each of your support. We remain deeply moved by your willingness to share your creativity, and to make use of the resources provided by your colleagues. Thank you for being committed to supporting one another.
Peace to you as we experience a second Holy Week in pandemic. May you be sustained in the hope…the joy…and the promise of a God who makes all things new.
Rev. Adam Snook
Assistant to the Bishop