The Eastern Synod Council met by video-conferencing software for its autumn meeting, occurring again during the COVID-19 pandemic time.
- Outcomes from the meeting included:
- Authorization that the Eastern Synod apply to the CRA to be designated as a public foundation.
- Upon receipt of a call, Jordan Smith and Rev. Ronald Shumba were approved for reception onto the roster of ordained ministers in the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada.
- Ernst & Young LLP were appointed as the Synod auditors for 2020.
- Revisions in the Synod’s Strategic Plan – Work Plan Priorities were affirmed for 2020-2021, as related to focusing our efforts and managing resources, as well as adapting to the pandemic environment.
- Approval of constitutions and bylaws and amendments for: Peace Latvian, Ottawa; Good Shepherd, Barrhaven; Chinese Lutheran, Montreal; Rhenish, Toronto; Trinity, London; St. John’s, Augsburg; St. Peter’s Estonian, Toronto.
- Synod Assembly 2021 will be convened next year as an online meeting; it is planned for June 2021. Registration fees have been set at $300 per rostered/lay delegate; there is no fee for visitors whose congregational rostered and lay delegates have already registered.