MATERNITY/PREGNANCY AND PARENTAL LEAVE POLICY
The Eastern Synod provides that congregations, through their congregational council (“Congregational Council”) shall provide maternity, pregnancy or parental leave of absence (“Maternity/Pregnancy and/or Parental Leave”) to Rostered Ministers for the care of newborn or newly adopted children in accordance with the applicable employment standards legislation.
The Eastern Synod:
1. Where applicable, eligibility for Maternity/Pregnancy and/or Parental Leave from responsibilities to the Eastern Synod will be governed by the applicable employment standards legislation of the province where the rostered minister resides (the “Provincial Standards”).
2. Extended/Long Term parental Leave – A Rostered Minister may choose to resign from their call with the Congregational Council and apply for the status of “on leave from call” as reflected in the ELCIC guidelines:
- A Rostered Minister on leave from call may apply to be retained on the Roster of Ordained Ministers of the church according to the procedure outlined in the CHCON VII,6 and CHBYLAWS III,11 for an additional five (5) years beyond the 3 year “on leave from call” provision.
- Should a longer period be desired the Rostered Minister should voluntarily resign from the ministry. Subsequent reinstatement to the Roster of Ordained Ministers would take place according to the provisions of CHCON VII, 2 and CHBYLAWS III, 9.
- Years spent on long term parental leave which exceeds the length of leave allowed by Provincial Standards shall not apply in the consideration of years of experience when placing a Rostered Minister on the salary scale upon reinstatement.