HONOURARY ASSISTANT PASTORS
EVANGELICAL LUTHERAN CHURCH IN CANADA
The goal of the Honourary Assistant Pastors Policy is to provide recognition, accountability and opportunity for parish-based ministry for rostered clergy who are without regular calls in congregations. (i.e. Retired, On Leave From Call, or serving under Call to Special Service) Appointment as a Honourary Assistant does not constitute a call, nor does it carry any implications for the maintenance of one’s rostered status.
Such clergy may be appointed by the synod bishop to the position of Honourary Assistant Pastor in a particular congregation.
- The bishop may make such an appointment after consultation with the local pastor and congregational council.
- The Honourary Assistant Pastor shall be accountable to the local pastor for acts of ministry and pastoral care within the congregation and areas which shall be undertaken only at the request of the local pastor.
- The local pastor is expected to invite the Honourary Assistant Pastor to lead worship and preach at least one time per year.
- The Honourary Assistant Pastor shall be provided no remuneration except for the usual fees for supply preaching or by contract with the congregational council.
- The appointment has no limitation of term. Any party to the appointment (the Honourary Assistant Pastor, local pastor or congregational council) may make a request in writing to the bishop for a termination of the appointment. Upon receiving such a request, the bishop shall facilitate a review with the parties.
- The Honourary Assistant Pastor shall report annually to the bishop through the Confidential Report to the Synod Bishop.