The Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada (ELCIC), through its partnership with Canadian Lutheran World Relief (CLWR), is appealing to its members for financial support for humanitarian aid to assist those displaced by flooding in Saskatchewan.
Much of southern Saskatchewan is under severe stress due to flooding from rivers and dams, and also due to high water tables and ground water flooding. Reports from the affected region note that some areas are bracing for peaks that will rival flooding seen during the spring run-off. And in many places, people have been battling the flood since April. Recent re-flooding concerns are having a significant impact on people and morale.
CLWR is issuing an appeal for funds to support humanitarian efforts which could include: help relocating those affected to safe areas; providing emergency shelter; providing food; and supporting congregational programs that provide assistance which fills potential gaps already provided by governmental emergency services. Based on currently available funds, $5000 for Saskatchewan flooding is being committed to relief efforts. The ELCIC and CLWR work in effective partnership with lead agencies which are providing front line services.
On May 17, 2011, ELCIC and CLWR issued emergency appeals to assist those affected by wildfires in Alberta and flooding in Manitoba. Recovery from the wild fires and flooding in Manitoba remain an ongoing concern. Donations continue to be accepted for “2011 Alberta Wildfires” and “2011 Manitoba Flooding.”
ELCIC National Bishop Susan C. Johnson is also calling for members to pray for the people across the western provinces who have been affected by this year’s disasters, especially those who are immediately threatened by flooding. She has prepared the following suggested prayer:
God of the Universe, you have created this world in which we live and have called it good. And yet at times the forces of nature seem out of control. We pray for all those who are affected by the flooding and wildfires on the Prairies. Help them, and us, to put our trust in your love and care. Motivate and equip those who are reaching out with hands and hearts to serve those in need. In our faithful prayers, in our generous response, help us to be a church In Mission for Others. We pray in Jesus’ name. Amen.
Donations for the appeals may be made in the following ways:
- ELCIC members are asked to donate to the appeals by making a designated offering donation for “2011 Saskatchewan Flooding” through their congregation.
- Donations may also be made through CLWR:
- Online at www.clwr.org/donate. In the process of completing the form, you will come to a pull-down menu that allows you to designate a specific project. Choose the “2011 Saskatchewan Flooding.”
- By calling CLWR's toll-free number: 1.800.661.2597 or locally at 204.694.5602.
- By sending a cheque made payable to CLWR and mailed to: CLWR, 302-393 Portage Avenue, Winnipeg, MB R3B 3H6. Please indicate in your correspondence that you wish to contribute to the “2011 Saskatchewan Flooding.”