EASTERN SYNOD of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada
COMPLIANCE PRACTICES: POLICY TO PROTECT PERSONAL INFORMATION IN THE EASTERN SYNOD
The following practices are applicable to information gathered at the congregational, synodical or national level of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada. The Policy is applicable to the National church and its five synods, and protects the information used and retained by those expressions of the church. Congregations and related agencies should either adopt the ELCIC or Eastern Synod Policy making appropriate changes to the wording or create a separate policy to protect personal information in their settings.
Cathy Caron, the Administrative Assistant to the Bishop, has been appointed as the Personal Information Compliance Officer (the ‘officer’) of the Eastern Synod of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada.
The officer may be contacted with any query or complaint related to the collection, use or retention of personal information. If a complaint is received, the officer will investigate the complaint and take corrective action if required. If the complainant is not satisfied with the action of the officer, he/she may appeal to the Executive Officers (Bishop, Vice-Chair, Secretary and Treasurer) to review and determine the disposition of the complaint.
The officer will communicate and explain the policy to all employees and volunteers, who collect, retain or use personal information in the Eastern Synod. Information which explains the Eastern Synod’s protection of personal information policies and procedures has been prepared and is made public on the Eastern Synod website (www.easternsynod.org).
2. Identifying purposes
The Eastern Synod collects personal information for the following purposes:
- to create membership lists,
- to communicate with committee and board members and volunteers,
- to inform members about the life of the church,
- to maintain subscriptions to church publications,
- to register participants for church events, and
- to compile statistical and historical information about the Eastern SynodThis list is not exhaustive and it may change or be added to occasionally.Individuals will be informed at the time of collection why information is being collected and for what purposes it will be used.