Posted: March 12, 2021Position Type: Part-time
Position Category: Other
Location: Racial Justice Advisory Committee, Remote
The Racial Justice Advisory Committee (Eastern Synod – Evangelical Lutheran Church in
Canada) is seeking a passionate, engaged, knowledgeable person to curate, run and maintain their social media platforms. The successful candidate will have a background or keen interest in social justice initiatives, specifically within church-related contexts and will be able to make strong, independent decisions on appropriate material and engagement with participants/respondents. Reporting to the committee, the incumbent will be required to attend monthly meetings and be attuned to racial, cultural and ethnic challenges faced by BIPOC people, and specifically passionate about their stories and struggles – in church, and in broader global contexts.
The primary responsibility of this role is the execution of Project Story – an RJAC-led initiative to find and publish stories of racism and social injustice experienced by those within our church communities. This feeds into the responsibilities around creating and maintaining a space for “caring conversations”, that engages the broader community through social media. The Social Media Coordinator will invite people to share their stories, format the media in which those stories are submitted, and publishing/publicising them on our social platforms. More information on Project Story can be found here.
In addition to Project Story key responsibilities include:
● Monitor, maintain, curate and update social media platforms of RJAC (Instagram, Twitter,
● Update and maintain the RJAC website with resources, materials and responses to
ongoing issues of racial justice, including exercising independent decision making in
regards to adding additional resources to the website;
● Respond in a timely manner to issues of racism and discrimination both from within our
church and on a global scale and with a sensitivity and knowledge of church-led
● Coordinate the execution of projects by handling communication (eg: coordinating and
booking meetings, checking in on project milestones, reminding committee members to
● Participate in monthly meetings of RJAC to update on Project Story and other
● Passion for social media (education in communications, social media strategy, an asset,
but not required);
● Outstanding verbal and written communication skills;
● Strong initiative and independent decision-making;
● Experience with BIPOC or racial justice advocacy groups;
● An interest and passion in “being the sandpaper” on issues of racial justice in church and
● Passion for developing and executing social media plans, campaigns and strategies to
engage with those within and external to our church;
● Working knowledge of the Google suite;
● Experience working in church contexts and understanding church communities an asset;
● Experience developing, building and maintaining websites an asset;
● Demonstrated independent critical thinking and problem solving skills;
● Willing to attend events where applicable (outside of COVID times).
1 year contract for 4 hours per week.
Currently remote due to COVID-19.
Please send resumes and cover letters to: firstname.lastname@example.org