The purpose of this blog is the creation of a covenant between congregations and their synod. I hope that you will contribute to the discussion.
This conversation is part of the larger process of renewal that is taking place within the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada. The process involves structural and administrative changes, to be sure, but we hope it will also include a renewal of the relationships among various expressions of the church.
The draft covenant found here does not include all expressions of the church, but only the local (congregations) and regional (the synod). In many respects this relationship is fundamental to how we Lutherans embody our small part of the church universal in this specific time and place.
This draft has already had considerable input and has been approved by the Synod Council for discussion. However, Council expects and hopes that it will generate extensive conversation, in person and online, among individual members of our church. That conversation should result in an improved finished product.
The timeline is anticipated to look like this:
- Comments and suggestions between now and October 15, 2012 from individual members — both clergy and laity — of synodical congregations.
- Review of input and approval of a final draft by the Council at their November 2012 meeting.
- Release of the approved covenant sent to congregations for thorough study during 2013.
- Affirmation at the Annual General Meeting of every congregation in the Synod no later than February 28, 2014.
- Signed copies filed with Synod Office no later than April 30, 2014.
We invite you to read the draft covenant, listen to what God might be saying about the relationship between congregations and the Synod, and then offer your comments and suggestions for improvement.
Thank you for your partnership and commitment our common vision as a church in mission for others.
April 25, 2012
Date: April 26, 2012